The weird and wonderful world of Moogfest is descending upon Durham this weekend and we’re pretty excited.
Wait a minute. What is Moogfest? Let us introduce you to the awe inspiring, weird and wonderful world of Moogfest.
It began in Asheville in 2004 as a celebration of Bob Moog, the inventor of the Moog synthesizer (The Beatles and Mick Jagger were among the first customers), and founding father of electronic music. Every year, they honor Moog with a multi-day music, art and technology festival. The festival relocated from Asheville to Durham in 2016. It turns downtown into a buzzing hub of creative minds, technology, conversation, and really great music.
Moogfest offers panels and workshops by day and concerts by night. The full schedule includes over 200 workshops, masterclasses, and conversations.
Don’t have a ticket? No worries. There’s still some seriously awesome FREE events you can enjoy.
Modular Marketplace, Moog Store, and Pop-Up Factory
The Modular Marketplace is a FREE interactive pop-up featuring boutique electronics, experimental effects, and eurorack synthesizers. From instruments that can make any musical sound imaginable to the latest DIY kits, the marketplace showcases the future of electronic music and gives attendees the opportunity to meet instrument designers and play, test-drive, and take home the next generation of musical devices.
This year’s instrument manufacturers, selected for their cult status or game-changing ambition, will showcase their instruments and offer daily demonstrations, sound experiments, exclusive discounts, and other specials. Many of the entrepreneurs and designers behind these products will be in attendance, and many items will be available for purchase.
The Modular Marketplace will take place at Bay 7 from 10am – 6pm, April 25-28.
Free Programming and Concerts
Quarter Horse Bar & Arcade in Downtown Durham at 108 South Mangum St. hosts evenings of free music on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, featuring local artists.
Thursday April 25 | Free Moogfest Events
@ Quarter Horse Bar & Arcade
A celebration of diversity
Friday April 26 | Free Moogfest Events
- 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM | MICROMACHINES @ Quarter Horse
Saturday, April 27 | MoogFest Free Events
The annual Modular on the Spot Picnic anchors an all-day lineup of free concerts on Saturday, April 27 at the Cage at the American Tobacco Campus (ATC). Bay 7 at ATC hosts the Modular Marketplace, Moog Store and Moog Pop-up Factory throughout the festival.
- 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.: The much-loved Modular on the Spot Picnic, a laid-back synth exploration led by Eric “Rodent” Cheslak, begins at 11:30 a.m. followed by SoCal electro iconoclasts Fartbarf.
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Questlove, Philadelphia hip-hop artist and music director for Jimmy Fallon’s Late Night show, drummer and frontman for Grammy Award-winning hip-hop group The Roots.
- 6-7 p.m.: Footwork legend RP Boo
- 7:15-8:15 p.m.: beat experimentalist Suzi Analogue presents a tribute to friend and associate DJ Rashad on the five-year anniversary of his passing.
- 8:30-9:30 p.m: Mez, a Raleigh-based hip-hop artist who has collaborated with Dr. Dre
@Full Frame Theatre at ATC
- 3:30 – 6 p.m. Film “What Is Democracy?” Screening and discussion with filmmaker, writer, and political organizer Astra Taylor, director of the documentary, followed by a panel including Lea Martin, Delaney Vandergrift, film subject and former Student Body President at NC A&T State University, Jillian Johnson, Mayor Pro Tempore of the city of Durham, and Tara Smith, co-founded and Executive Director of Extra Terrestrial Projects, who will discuss: Who gets to participate in democracy? What is freedom? Can democracy even exist in an era of concentrated wealth? How can the people reclaim the power that is supposed to be theirs? Half of the tickets for the screening will be offered for free on a first come, first served basis.
@ Quarterhorse Bar & Arcade
- 4-8 p.m. Raund Haus X Erogenous Tones featuring their visual synth, STRUCTURE take the audience on a journey in visual synthesis
To view Full Moogfest 2019 Schedule: Click HERE
All ticket types below are available for purchase now HERE.
Join our mailing list to get the inside scoop on the
best things to do in Durham and a guide to your weekend events