This year, Shop Durham is introducing a new campaign that is a grassroots movement of education and relationship building that promotes the many economic and societal benefits of supporting local businesses. Buy Local Month will run from November 22 to December 22 and encourages all to buy local and keep holiday dollars flowing within our community.
During Buy Local Month, Shop Durham works to showcase the great work local businesses are doing for their community and to steer consumers to these businesses at the height of the holiday shopping season. This includes events like the Shop Durham Holiday Markets, Shop Independent Durham Week, and social media giveaways.
They’ll also have a new Buy Local Market Calendar, which is continuously updated throughout the campaign with new events from small businesses and larger markets like Patchwork.
Why Local First?
The sense of place that we have in Durham – all that makes this place unique – is largely thanks to our local retail businesses. Local shops, both service-and product-based, are what build our culture. It’s the places where you can fix a shoe, find the perfect dress, buy a coffee or a new book, and connect with neighbors.
You can learn more about the benefits of buying local on Shop Durham’s website here.
How You Can Participate
- Sign the pledge to Buy Local and shift 10% or more of your holiday spending to local businesses.
- Participate in Shop Independent Durham Week, which kicks off on Small Business Saturday, November 30th and runs through Sunday, December 8th. Get discounts and freebies at participating locally owned businesses all week long!
- Bookmark and utilize the Buy Local Market Calendar, which is continuously updated throughout the campaign with new events. Get out and mingle with your neighbors, while finding one-of-a-kind gifts for your loved ones!
- Participate in 30 days of giveaways on Shop Durham’s social media outlets
- Grab a Shop Durham card to help keep your dollars in Durham and get discounts at hundreds of independent businesses
- Look for the “Shop Durham” badge in storefronts or use Shop Durham’s Online Local Business Directory to support your neighbors this holiday season!
Want to align your business with this campaign? Join Shop Durham!
Events to Look Out For
Shop Durham Holiday Markets
Shop Durham will be kicking off Buy Local Month with a celebration and holiday market at Durty Bull Brewing Company on November 23rd. You can expect local businesses, makers, food, a raffle, and live music.
Their second market will be on December 14th, 4-8pm on CCB Plaza (by Major the Bull) following the annual holiday parade and Funfest festivities.
Shop Independent Durham Week
Hosted by Sustain-a-Bull, Shop Indie Week kicks off on Small Business Saturday, November 30th and runs through Sunday, December 8th. You can get discounts and freebies at participating locally owned businesses all week long.
The Shop Durham Card
Shop Durham’s roots are in their card program that gets you discounts at independently owned Durham businesses. There’s currently over 230 businesses participating. Each business has a unique offer that you can use every time you visit. Some highlights include a free appetizer at Parizade, free churro with drink purchase at Cocoa Cinnamon, 5% off at Heavenly Buffaloes, and free drip coffee at the Durham Co-Op Market. (See all participating businesses here)
The 2020 card’s expected release is November 22nd with Shop Durham’s Holiday Market and Buy Local Month Celebration following on November 23rd at Durty Bull Brewing Company.
Join our mailing list to get the inside scoop on the
best things to do in Durham and a guide to Durham’s top monthly events