Liberty Arts Studios & Foundry and Durham Central Park are bringing their seriously awesome Iron Pour back for the 4th year at Durham Central Park, Saturday, November 16 from 4-9 p.m.
All evening and into the night, 4,000 pounds of molten iron will be poured into molds, in an exciting fiery display creating the iron tiles made by the public and sculptures made by NC artists. Additionally, there will be Liberty Arts artists’ work for sale, Liberty Arts T-shirts, beer glasses and hand-blown glass pumpkins. Come enjoy drumming performances from Batalá Durham, local food trucks and craft beer while watching this very creative and gritty Durhamesque event.
You can really get involved by creating your own scratch block in an upcoming workshop. Scratch a design into hardened sand and watch it get filled with molten iron. The result is an iron tile created by YOU. The cost is $40 per mold. You will be able to take home your iron tile from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday the 17th at the Liberty Arts Foundry at the park, across Foster Street from the pour site.
2019 scratch block workshop schedule:
- September 25, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- October 2, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- October 5, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- October 8, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- October 12, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- October 16, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- October 19, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- October 30, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- November 2: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- November 3, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. (during the Food Truck Rodeo)
- November 6, 4:30 — 7 p.m.
- November 9, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- November 13, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- November 16, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (Day of Pour)
- November 16, 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. (Day of Pour)
Admission is Free
Just bring your imagination and get ready to have some fun. Admission to the Iron Pour is free. Blankets and folding chairs welcome. Food trucks and breweries will serve from 4-9 p.m. To kick off the event, Batala will perform 2 sets between 4 and 6 pm. Scheduled food trucks/brewers include Poblanos Tacos, Bulkogi, Bull City Burger and Brewery and Ponysaurus. For more information, visit www.durhamcentralpark.org.
Join our mailing list to get the inside scoop on the
best things to do in Durham and a guide to Durham’s top monthly events